Best Self Produced CD...
Dear Blues Musicians,
The Blues Society of Western PA (BSWPA) is now accepting entries to be considered for the
2016 Best Self-Produced CD competition
Your CD must have been produced between November, 2015 and October 31, 2016 to be eligible.
Your CD submissions to the BSWPA must be received by October 5, 2016
Please submit 8 copies of your CD for our consideration. (Two for the BSWPA’s use to review for determination and 6 to submit to the Blues Foundation if chosen. Those CDS that were not chosen will be returned to their respective artist….or if agreeable, donated to BSWPA.) The CD chosen to represent the BSWPA will be sent to the Blues Foundation before the November 1, 2016 deadline.
Criteria for judging used by the BSWPA….as determined by the Blues Foundation
(1)Blues Content (is this a Blues Music recording)
(2) Musical Performance (Musicianship)
(3) Audio Quality of the Presentation (Production Values, Levels)
(4) Cover Art and Design (Professional Packaging, Ready for the rack at your favorite music outlet?)
(5) Credits and Liner Information. (Informative, Professional)
The only way you can enter the Memphis competition is via a Blues Society.
Your submissions to the Blues Society of Western PA must be received by October 5, 2016.
Send your submissions to:
The Blues Society of Western PA
79 Linmar Homes
Aliquippa, PA 15001 If you have any questions, please call: 724-888-6183 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
President, Blues Society of Western PA
Please read the following to determine your eligibility…..
Self-Produced CD – Official Rules per the Blues Foundation
For thirty-four years, The Blues Foundation has celebrated and recognized established blues artists through the Blues Music Awards. For thirty years, The Blues Foundation has encouraged future blues performers through the International Blues Challenge. The Best Self-Produced CD was established in 2005 to recognize excellence in independent Blues recordings.
Best Self-Produced Official Rules:
* Entries for the Best Self-Produced CD are permitted by affiliated blues societies only. * Each affiliate is permitted one entry. * The CD entered does not have to be performed by the band entered in the 2017 International Blues Challenge. * Compilations are not eligible. * The eligibility period is the same as for the Blues Music Awards-the CD must have been released during November 1, 2015 – October 31, 2016 time frame. * If an affiliate does not conduct a competition to determine who it will sponsor but instead appoints a CD, that CD may not include a board member or officer. * A performer who has previously been nominated for a Blues Music Award (formerly the W.C. Handy Blues Award) shall not be eligible for this competition. A CD issued in the name of an otherwise eligible performer which also includes the contributions of a Blues Music Award nominee may be ineligible, depending on the extent of the contribution. *A CD on a record label that has been previously nominated for a Blues Music Award (formerly the W.C. Handy Blues Award) shall not be eligible for this competition. * Recordings with established or “known” producers within the industry are eligible as long as the recording is on the artist’s independent label and NOT on an established blues label. * Singer, band, society or local producer may produce the actual CD as long as the performer is a singer, band or other individual entity. * Judging will be in three stages. There will be two rounds of judging by radio/print people leading to the final judging. The affiliate is responsible for ensuring that their submission complies with these rules. If you have any doubts or questions, contact the Foundation office.
Judges will evaluate the following points. The criteria are in order of importance. (1) Blues Content (is this a Blues Music recording) (2) Musical Performance (Musicianship) (3) Audio Quality of the Presentation (Production Values, Levels) (4) Cover Art and Design (Professional Packaging, Ready for the rack at your favorite music outlet?) (5) Credits and Liner Information. (Informative, Professional)
Affiliates (only) must submit 4 copies of their selection to The Blues Foundation office. The submission package MUST include a note (in the package) on affiliate letter head stating the artist and title of the submitted material is for consideration in the BSPCD.
Submissions MUST be in our office by November 1, 2016
The Blues Foundation Best Self-Produced CD 421 South Main Memphis, TN 38103
The finalists will be announced prior to IBC weekend. Music professionals will judge the finalists and the winner will be announced at the IBC finals. Finalists are NOT required to attend IBC.
The CDs honored to date are:
2005-Crazy, Cryin’ Blues by Robin Rogers and Silver Bird by Collard Greens & Gravy (tie) 2006-Back in Bluesville by Roxy Perry 2007-We are Mighty Lester by Mighty Lester Band 2008-Sophisticated Ladies by Sue Palmer & Her Motel Swing Orchestra 2009-Hollerin’ by Nathan James & Ben Hernandez 2010-Crime Scene Queen by The Informants and Fire it Up! by Laurie Morvan Band 2011-Get Inside This House by Joe McMurrian – Cascade Blues Association 2012-Where I’m Coming From… by Dave Keller – Rhode Island Rhythm and Blues Preservation Society 2013-Solo Recordings by Steve Hill – Montreal Blues Society 2014-Account to Me, by Hank Mowery – West Michigan Blues Society 2015-Cryin’ Mercy, by Altered Five Blues Band – Grafton Blues Association 2016-Blues in a Bottle, Rob Lumbard, Central Iowa Blues Society